Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Possibilities, Chapter Two

How else could I make knives without having to use the modern materials that cause me grief?  Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to go completely "tribal" or use nothing but old fashioned and low tech methods.  I personally care for the term tribal in situations like this because it could be used in a condescending way as Primitive is sometimes used to mean not good enough or unfashionable because it is unmodern. Going low tech could mean going to a solid fuel forge (coal or charcoal) and doing all the finishing work by hand with files, scrapers and stones.  Another possibility would be to use a propane forge and hammer blades to shape , then finish by hand.  Both of these routes would require building the necessary equipment and procuring or making a suitable anvil.  Actually,  I would enjoy the process of doing the building and procuring , especially if I could find some one knowledgeable to help me.  Perhaps the solid fuel alternative would be better.  I personally would like to use charcoal because its use goes very far back in history and because of the fact that I hate the smell of burning coal.  


Perhaps the thing to do would be to look around for blacksmiths in this area ( Pella Iowa) and get some advice.  Whatever happens I will keep all of my faithful readers posted.  Please note the irony of that last sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment