Sunday, March 13, 2011

Possibilities, Chapter One

The first possibility that I can think of for how to keep making knives is this; I can  continue to use found objects of hardened steel without using readily available abrasives by making a metal cutting bandsaw and using diamond wheels and files to shape the edge profiles.  There are bandsaw blades available which have tungsten carbide particles along the edge.  With these I could cut knife profiles out of just about any sort of material.  After that diamond wheels and hones could be used to make and sharpen the edges.  The biggest problem I can see with this approach would be that these tools would have a fairly high up front cost, but if I want to continue with my idea of taking found objects that are already hardened and tempered steel and making knives out of them without destroying the heat treatment in them it would make it possible without the types of abrasives that I am allergic to.  Stay tuned for chapters two and three to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment